Sunday 26 December 2010

Christmas -- Fail

Quote of the day:  Benjamin Franklin -- I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong

I confess, i failed Christmas this year.  Not sure what went wrong.  It didn't fail me, but i failed it.


Normally, it's my favourite day of the year, a day of meditation and spiritual uplift, but for some reason that didn't happen this time, and i'm wondering why...?  (I'm also wondering why my font keeps changing....)


Possibly because the preceding week at work had been such a nightmare and i wasn't feeling all that sanguine towards mankind in general.  Possibly because, instead of watching a festive film in the afternoon i instead watched the devastating finale of "Between The Lines."  And also possibly because, as i mentioned in my previous post, i didn't listen to "Messiah" in the morning!


It was an okay day, though -- i mustn't complain.  I managed to sink a few glasses of my favourite bevvy
(oh, look! there's its picture!) and in the evening i stuffed myself stupid with turkey and ham and smashed potatoes and peas and gravy and then, apple crumble and ice cream.  I mean, count yer blessings and all that.  Most of the people on this poor old planet don't have food on their tables.  Heck, a lot of them don't even have tables....


And in the evening i watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"....






So it could have been a lot worse.


And we're getting ready for the end of the year wrap-up, so we begin with music.


Here are my favourite 15 CDs of 2010 (in no particular order):


Terje Rypdal -- Crime Scene
Slash -- Slash
Buddy Guy -- Living Proof
Peter Hammill -- Thin Air
Billy Talent -- III
Jeff Beck -- Emotion And Commotion
Florence & The Machine -- Lungs
Joe Bonamassa -- Black Rock
Keane -- Night Train
Sarah Fimm -- Karma Phala
Robert Plant -- Band Of Joy
Rory Gallagher -- The Beat Club Sessions
Richard Thompson -- Dream Attic
The Albion Band -- Natural And Wild
John Jones -- Rising Road.


(Once upon a time i would buy maybe 100 CDs a year; i think i bought about 35 in 2010!)













No comments: