Friday 21 September 2012

Working For A Living, Part the nth

Quotation of the day ~ Douglas Adams: I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

I had some visitors a couple of weeks ago, a couple of old friends from my days in Toronto: two sisters, Judith and Gloria.  We had a brilliant lunch at Bentley's (pub) and some brilliant conversation.

One of the things we nattered about was work.

Now, just to explain, both Judith & Gloria are a little older than i am, but not by much.  And most of my friends from when i lived in the big city, are around about my age (and i'm 403 years old according to Mike at Kelsey's [pub] but that's another story!).

We chatted about ourselves and how much we're all working, and it seems that all of my old chums -- who all want to slow down a bit ... are working harder than ever.  There seems to be no choice.

And we're working energetically and with gusto. I / we may not want to work as much as i / we do, but as long as i have to, i'm gonna put my back into it.

Now, here's a craven generalisation, but what i see in the younger folks, is that they don't want to work at all.  And by "younger," i mean, under 40.  Not fair, of course, there are go-getters out there.  But it's what i see where i work.  Very few of the under-40's actually want to do anything.  They all want more money, of course, but they don't actually want to work more hours to earn more money.  So i have to knock myself stupid every week, and they have no idea what it means to earn a living.

Sad, yes, and tragic for sure.

And here's the playlist:

Billy Talent -- Dead Silence
Various Artists -- Electricity
Saga - Saga
Van der Graaf Generator -- Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios, London, disc 1
The All-American Rejects -- The All-American Rejects
Billy Talent -- Dead Silence
Matchbox Twenty -- North
Various Artists -- Live On David Letterman, Vol. 2
The Allman Brothers Band -- A & R Studios, New York, 26/08/71
Chantal Kreviazuk -- In This Life
George Harrison -- Wonderwall Music
Van der Graaf Generator -- Live In Concert At Metropolis Studios, London
Saga -- Images At Twilight
Cream -- Live Cream, Vol. 2
Matchbox Twenty -- North
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Jeff Beck -- The Fire Meets The Fury


No comments: