Tuesday 2 April 2013

Day Off Ramblings

Quotation of the day ~ Ian McEwan: However, withered, I still feel myself to be exactly the same person I've always been. Hard to explain that to the young. We may look truly reptilian, but we're not a separate tribe.

Finally getting around to reading Ian McEwan's latest novel, "Sweet Tooth," which i bought over a month ago, but hadn't managed to open until just recently. My, that man can write! The prose flows. (The above is a quotation from what is probably his best book, "Atonement." )

Yes, it's my day off, at last, and i'm quite knackered after a very stressful week at the beanery.  The Easter weekend is traditionally a very slow one in the restaurant biz (where, as penance for the sins of a previous life, i am employed). Well, in brief, tradition was blown all to smithereens this weekend: we got (to use an industry term) smoked every day of it. I mean, i like to be busy -- it means i get paid every week -- but it can get ridiculous at times.

So, i spent the morning listening to the radio online (www.boom973.com to be precise), scrubbed dear Catieboo's litterbox, did minimal housework, went out for breakfast -- to A & W, for two sausage 'n' eggers, probably the only thing on their entire menu that i like -- sat with my butt parked in front of the computer for a while, and then ate lunch (a roast beef samwidge on a kaiser) and watched this DVD:

Errmmm.... I didn't like it that much. Meg Ryan was magnificent but it was a pretty sordid tale and rather a mess, really. I should stick to sci-fi/fantasy/action/adventure. I'm too old to have to try to cope with sexual politics...













And here's the latest from my CD collection:

















And that's all for today, boys and girls

No comments: