Sunday 28 February 2016

Real Rock Radio?

Quotation of the day: Garrison Keilor ~ I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it.

I've written about the St Louis radio station KSHE (www.kshe95.com) before, and how listening to it and hearing about the city thereon, kickstarted my interest in going there and my feeling of affinity for the place. I used to think that KSHE was a wonderful station but it's changed in the three years i've been listening. They used to play a lot of schtuff that you never heard anywhere else but now, most of the time they now play the same old songs that every other rock station plays.

But they have a few special programs that convince me that this is an exceptional radio station. For example, there's “The Seventh Day” every Sunday evening – where they play seven albums in their entirety.

There's also a show presented by their overnight deejay – and my Facebook friend – Tommy T., “The Rock Magazine.” On Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, he features a different artist and plays deep tracks by them that are rarely heard elsewhere. On Wednesdays, he has a “themed” show; recent themes included songs about winter, and, on Ash Wednesday, songs with “fire” in their titles. The man has a sense of humour! Unfortunately it comes on at 4 a.m. my time; i'm usually up, i'm an early riser, but sometimes i miss it.

But my favourite of all is the “Klassics” show, every Sunday morning, presented by a St Louis broadcasting legend, John Ulett. It's on from 9 a.m. -- 1 p.m. (my time) and it's absolutely brilliant! It's all classic rock music that's never played anywhere else, and that's my era. I used to work every Sunday and had to listen on my phone or on my laptop, but i work in such a noisy place i could hardly hear it. It took me almost a year of complaining bitching moaning groaning and just generally being a pain in the arse but i finally managed to convince my Masters to give me Sundays off and what happened?



KSHE made their audio stream unavailable to Canada. Aaaargh!

It took me a while but eventually i found a VPN i liked – Tunnel Bear – it costs me $10 a month but i think it's well worth it.



If you have the patience to read it, here's the “Klassics” playlist from a couple of weeks ago:

The Grateful Dead -- Uncle John's Band
Ted Nugent -- Call Of The Wild
George Harrison -- What Is Life
Deep Purple -- Space Truckin
Shooting Star -- Last Chance
Cream -- I'm So Glad
Little River Band -- It's A Long Way There
Charlie Daniels -- Caballo Diablo
Robert Palmer -- You're Gonna Get What's Coming
Tarney Spencer Group -- No Time To Lose
Dave Mason -- Feelin Alright
Peter Gabriel -- Solsbury Hill
Jefferson Starship -- No Way Out
Blue Oyster Cult -- In Thee
Loggins & Messina -- Back To Georgia
The Beat -- Don't Wait Up For Me Tonight
Eagles -- Ol' 55
Brownsville Station -- Martian Boogie
Little Feat -- Fat Man In The Bathtub
Danny Spanos -- Hot Cherie
Jethro Tull -- Thick As A Brick, part 1
Steely Dan -- Deacon Blues
Headstone -- Turn Your Head
Stillwater -- Women
Pure Prairie League -- Two Lane Highway
America -- Don't Cross The River
Moxy -- Sail On Sail Away
Journey -- Topaz
The James Gang -- Alexis
The Rolling Stones -- Wild Horses
The Moody Blues -- Legend Of A Mind
Lake -- Key To The Rhyme
Jim Capaldi -- Living On The Edge
Elton John -- Mona Lisas And Mad Hatters
Rod Stewart -- Every Picture Tells A Story
Joe Cocker -- She Came In Through The Bathrrom Window
Poco -- Good Feelin';
Ian Hunter -- Cleveland Rocks
Captain Beyond -- Sufficiently Breathless

And here's my most recent playlist:

James Taylor -- Greatest Hits Volume 2
Small Faces -- Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Runrig -- Mara
Rush -- Power Windows
Fairport Convention -- The Bonny Bunch Of Roses
The Albion Dance Band -- Shuffle Off!
Various Artists -- The Son Of "Morris On"
Peter Gabriel -- Peter Gabriel

No comments: