Wednesday 4 November 2009

You Want Fries With That?

As some of my regular readers will know, I – for my sins – make my living as a cook. And if I say so myself, I’m pretty good at it: I have the touch. But I was thinking a while ago about the restaurant biz, and trying to determine, from the kitchen’s viewpoint, what is the best time of day to go to restaurant?

Right at opening time is no good: the kitchen is usually scrambling to get everything ready, and it’s impossible to give your meal the attention it deserves. Believe me, in every kitchen in the world, the diner who shows up right at opening time is resented.

Lunch-time is out, the kitchen is too busy to give your meal the attention it deserves.

After lunch? Well … no. The kitchen is busy cleaning up after lunch and trying to get ready for supper.

The supper rush? Don’t be silly, the kitchen is ‘way too busy.

After supper? Well, no, clean-up is well underway and the intrusion of customers into the scenario is actively resented.

So that, you might think, pretty much leaves closing time. Forget it. Everyone’s tired, they all want to go home (or to hit the bars) and, in every kitchen in the world, the customer who shows up right at closing time is resented.

Stay home, cook your own food, it’s probably healthier anyway, and … send me all your money because if this catches on I’ll be out of work!

Here’s the link for today’s Rorysong, “Laundromat” from the Cowtown bootleg: https://download.yousendit.com/YkxKZFhtcWYwZ2wzZUE9PQ.. Remember, the link is only valid for seven days.

And here, at the request of my beautiful girl Cate, is the video for The Cure’s “The Love Cats.”




No comments: