Sunday 29 January 2012

Alive And Depressed And Living In Canada

Quotation of the day: Bob Dylan -- For the loser now / Will be later to win / For the times they are a-changin'

 Hello to my regular reader!

I was at the pub this afternoon after work, and Kristina (one of my fave bartenders there) said something to me i thought very thought-provoking.

She said that, for those of us who live in Canada, the most depressing time of the year is the third week of January.  The weather is frightful (and that photo there on the left is the view from my front window) and we're all suffering from S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) i.e., miserable due to meteorological conditions.  Secondly, it's depressing because the credit card bills for Christmas have arrived and all you can say is "AAAAAAARGGH!" (I'm paraphrasing.)

Thirdly, it's because you realise that you haven't managed to keep any (not a single one) of your New Year's Resolutions. 

Well, i'm not depressed about any of this. I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions, for one thing (i know myself too well), and i didn't spend any money that i didn't have, at Christmas.  Thirdly, after a relatively mild winter up until recently, i find myself rather relieved to find that the appropriate weather has finally arrived.

I'm depressed about my job, but that's an entirely different tale, and one i won't go into here.

No comments: