Wednesday 29 February 2012

My Day Off

Quotation Of The Day: Geoffrey Cotterell -- In America, only the successful writer is important, in France all writers are important, in England no writer is important, in Australia you have to explain what a writer is.

No, i have no idea who Geoffrey Cotterell is (i could Google him, i s'pose, but to be honest i can't be arsed).  I found the above in The Penguin Book Of Modern Humorous Quotations and it tickled my funnybone for some reason.  Mr Cotterell may have been implying that Australians are illiterate or something, but i have a couple of very dear Strine friends (Matty & Roo, you know who you are!) and i love them to pieces la la.

Anyway, yes, at last, a day off.  I'm sure i've whinged before about how much i hate having to work six days a week at that rotten job.  (I'm supposed to work five-and-a-half days, but the half-day off never seems to happen....) And the job just seems to get more and more difficult.  I'm not going to write about it, though!

My friend Jillian got fired from her job a few days ago -- she posted to Facebook some comments about how awful her bosses and her customers (she's a waitress) were, her bosses saw the post and gave her the old heave-ho.

So, today: scrubbed the cat's litterbox, cleaned the kitchen (a bit), ordered the new Roger McGuinn CD, "CCD" -- yes, that's its title, "CCD."  And got Bruce Springsteen's new album, "Wrecking Ball."  Upon a first, very casual listen, it's pretty underwhelming but i really haven't given it the attention it deserves.  Yet.

I just re-read "The Hobbit" -- refreshing my memory of the book (i'd forgotten a lot of it) -- in anticipation of its December release.  I think it will be worth a trip up to the big city to see it on the wide screen....

No comments: