Monday 8 June 2020

KSHE KLASSICS SHOW, June 7th, 2020


[As you may or may not know, i live in Canada, and for some reason KSHE doesn't stream their audio to here; i have to connect via a VPN, to spoof a non-Canadian address. This week, according to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ i was listening from Norfolk, Virginia – a mere 770 miles from St Louis....]

Quotation Of The Week ~ Mark Twain: Sing like no one's listening / love like you've never been hurt / dance like no one is watching / and live like it's heaven on earth.

It wasn't a particularly auspicious start to this week's show, folks – it wasn't until after the first commercial break that Uman played a much-loved song and that was the Loggins & Messina track. . It pretty much soared after that, too, and the inclusion of Dan Fogelberg automatically means a grade of “A+.” I confess, though, that the REO Speedwagon track really annoyed me. I know, they're really popular in St Louis but their singer, Kevin Cronin, has a voice that makes me want to punch him in the face.

I can't choose highlights, there were too many. Here's the playlist, and a picture of my new girlfriend (i wish!):



Sea Level – Nothing Matters But The Fever
The Marshall Tucker Band – Walkin' The Streets Alone
Loggins & Messina – Angry Eyes
Z.Z. Top – It's Only Love
Elton John – Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Batdorf & Rodney – Life Is You
The Beatles – I'm Only Sleeping
Dan Fogelberg – Tullamore Dew / Phoenix
Steely Dan – Dirty Work
Eddie Money – I Wanna Go Back
Santana – Hope You're Feeling Better
Supertramp – Another Man's Woman
Bob Seger – Turn On Your Love Light
Gary Wright – Fascinating Things
REO Speedwagon – I Don't Wanna Know
Joe Walsh – Turn To Stone
Black Oak Arkansas – Hot And Nasty
Loggins & Messina – The House At Pooh Corner
The Kinks – Apeman
Andy Pratt – Avenging Annie
Journey – Ask The Lonely
Billy Joel – An Innocent Man
Rush – Here Again
George Harrison – Isn't It A Pity
Bob Dylan – The Times They Are A-Changin'
Jon & Vangelis – I Hear You Now
Frampton's Camel – Lines On My Face
The Police – When The World Is Running Down
Thin Lizzy – Cowboy Song
Eagles – Wasted Time
The Alan Parsons Project – I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You
Jackson Browne – Redneck Friend
Kansas – Play The Game Tonight
The Moody Blues – You And Me
Deep Purple – Strange Kind Of Woman
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young – Woodstock
David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust
John Kay – Easy Evil
The Steve Miller Band – The Stake
America – Only In Your Heart
Hydra – Feel Like Running
The Climax Blues Band – I Love You

The list of what troubled the optical drive on Spriggs Towers' supercomputer's optical drive this week isn't as unwieldly as it has been recently, thanks to two 4-CD sets, and three 2-disc albums:

Court Yard Hounds – Court Yard Hounds
Paul McCartney – Ram
Frida – Shine
Bill Bruford – Feels Good To Me
Players – Players
The Mahavishnu Orchestra – Birds Of Fire
Sting – The Dream Of The Blue Turtles
Kate Bush – The Other Sides
Camel – A Live Record
Steve Reich – Sextet / Six Marimbas
Mott The Hoople – The Ballad Of Mott: A Retrospective
Christine McVie – In The Meantime
Steeleye Span – Hark! The Village Wait
Incubus – A Crow Left Of The Murder
Indigo Girls – Indigo Girls
Sandy Denny – A Boxful Of Treasures
Camper Van Beethoven – Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart
The Kinks – Soap Opera
Deanna Durbin – The Ultimate Collection
Planxty – Cold Blow And The Rainy Night
Richard Thompson – Rumor And Sigh
Afrocelt Sound System – Volume 3: Further In Time
Colin James – Miles To Go
Sixpence None The Richer – Sixpence None The Richer
Van der Graaf Generator – Still Life
The Sugarcubes – Life's Too Good
June Tabor w. Martin Simpson – A Cut Above
Amazing Blondel – Fantasia Lindum
Godley & Creme – Cry: The Very Best Of Godley & Creme
Enya – Dark Sky Island
Paul Simon – So Beautiful Or So What
The John Kirkpatrick Band – Welcome To Hell
King Crimson – Beat
Terje Rypdal -- Odyssey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So my good friend, I have discovered an author and a mystery/sleuthing series I think you’d quite enjoy. The author is Andrew Cartmel and the series is called The Vinyl Detective.
Set in London, the books have a bit of everything I think you like and enjoy . . . a good mystery linked to rare records; quirky, eccentric British characters; lovable cats, and a thoroughly engaging young woman named Nevada. And she’s not even the main character.
There are five books in the series to date and if you decide to sample the author’s work I suggest you start with the first one as the subsequent tales occasionally reference earlier adventures.
The books, in order are:
• The Vinyl Detective: Written in Dead Wax
• The Vinyl Detective: The Run Out Groove
• The Vinyl Detective: Victory Disc
• The Vinyl Detective: Flip Back
• The Vinyl Detective: Low Action
I’ve been enjoying the series on audio books, but I know one can find used hard copies at very good prices on the internet through Biblio or Abe books.
As a further FYI, Cartmel is a frequent script writer for the Dr. Who TV series.
Let me know what you think if you decide to explore the series. Just know going in Nevada is spoken for. By me.

Freg said...

OK, old buddy, that could be interesting. I ordered Written In Dead Wax from Amazon. Thanks for the heads up.

Freg said...

I just started reading "Written In Dead Wax." I think i have a new writer with whom to become obsessed. Thanks a bunch ha ha.

Anonymous said...

My pleasure. I was pretty sure you'd enjoy the characters and (to me) the odd-but-wonderful sounding locales around London. Just remember Nevada is mine.

If you haven't already, you should visit and bookmark the Abe Books and Biblio websites. Both are collections of used/new booksellers in Canada, Britain and the U.S. Over the years I've saved a bundle over Amazon prices. I believe Abe Books is run out of B.C. I check both sites when looking for a specific title. While many sellers are on both sites their prices . . . and shipping charges . . . for some unknown reason(s) are often different on each site.