Thursday 4 January 2018

2017 Radio Awards

My Radio Station Award is, of course, based on what station i listened to the most this year.

Last year, KOCI, from Newport Beach California received the accolade, because i listened to them all day at work, on my iPad. They were perfect for work: lots of classic rock, lots of blues-rock, lots of great music i hadn't heard in ages. It motivated me.

This year, though, i hardly listened to them at all: my iPad can no longer connect to my work's Wi-fi (it connects fine everywhere else, i don't know what happened there). I now take in my own music to listen to as i do the daily routines. (Strangely, my Android phone can connect to work's Wi-fi, but cannot connect with my Bluetooth speaker.)

It might surprise you to learn that St Louis's KSHE wasn't my most listened-to station -- especially as i post about them every week. But, no, apart from the Sunday Klassics Show and The Rock Magazine (every weekday morning at 4 a.m. my time) (i'm usually up, i'm an early riser), i don't listen to KSHE at all.

The station i listened to the most this year was Radio Paradise, commercial-free, listener-supported eclectic radio from Paradise, California (hence its name). I really only listen to the radio in the mornings, and RP is a wonderfully smooth way to ease myself into the day. Here's a recent playlist:

The Shins -- Bait And Switch
Cracker -- Sidi Ifni
Kula Shaker -- Govinda
Oasis -- Champagne Supernova
Conjure One -- Make A Wish
Groenland -- Immune
Calexico -- Man Made Lake
Jerry Garcia -- Bird Song
Mich Gerber -- Zumurud
Sophie Ellis-Bextor -- Birth Of An Empire

Obscure? Sure! But apart from the Oasis track, all perfect for early morning listening. Plus i can never thank them enough for introducing me to the music of my new favourite singer, Caro Emerald.

RP gets the nod! (And, yes, i send them $10 -- U.S.-- a month.)


No comments: