Monday 15 January 2018

KSHE Klassics Show, Jan. 14th, 2018

Quotation du jour: Laurie Anderson ~ It's just such a great miracle when things do work, and they work for such a wild variety of crazy reasons.

As my regular reader will recall, i was unable to listen to last week's Klassics Show on my computer -- i had to listen using my iPad and a Bluetooth speaker. I wondered at the time if a recent Windows Update -- which borked my Start Menu and Cortana, among other things, was responsible (although i couldn't think why). After the program ended, i rolled back Windows to a time before the update -- not precisely how i had wanted to spend my afternoon but i've always had a love / hate relationship with technology -- and all was well again. I was able to listen to The Rock Magazine on KSHE on Monday morning with no trouble, so the problem was solved. I cock a snook at those who say i'm nothing but a pretty face.

Here's me cocking a snook:






It wasn't an entirely hassle-free morning though. (Would it be me if it were?) Shortly before the program was due to begin, i happened to adjust the position of my left speaker and ... the sound died. I checked the obvious, of course -- the power light was on, the cables were firmly seated -- i was just about to fire up the iPad and Bluetooth speaker again, when i noticed something on-screen: nothing was happening. My browser had stopped responding. So i closed it, re-opened it et voilĂ : we had music! That was a helluva relief, actually, as my computer is my media centre -- i don't have a stereo or a television or a DVD player (when they made this machine for me i had to specify that i needed an optical drive, dinosaur that i am) and i certainly didn't relish trudging up to Staples with the temperature at -20 and heaps of snow and ice everywhere for a new pair of speakers.

Then i had a problem with my keyboard: hitting the shift key entered the contents of the clipboard. (Huh?!?) For example, trying to type "Zero" would produce "Zhttp://www.kshe95.com/ero". A bit of Googling solved that matter but it was really difficult when i began this document, as i use the shift key throughout the playlist. (I had to run a command prompt to clear the contents of the clipboard.) (No idea what created this problem.)

After that, though, apart from a couple of (very brief) connection drop-outs, it was smooth sailing all the way.

I'm not sure where i was listening from -- most of the ads were from CVS Pharmacy, which is nationwide, but i may actually have been in St Louis today, as there were also quite a few ads from The Social House in Soulard -- which was the first pub i ever went to in St Louis (Soulard is a neighbourhood there). If you follow me on Facebook, the Soulard Social House is where my profile pic was taken.

Anyway, here's the playlist. Not an extraordinary edition, maybe, but still the best radio show anywhere (that i know of) and as always the highlight of my week:

Climax Blues Band -- I Am Constant
The Michael Stanley Band-- Let's Get The Show On The Road
Taxxi -- I'm Leaving
Gary Wright -- Love Is Alive
Pavlov's Dog -- Julia
Robin Trower -- I'm Out To Get You
Roger Daltrey -- Say It Ain't So, Joe
Stillwater -- Women (Beautiful Women)
Sad Cafe -- Black Rose
Thin Lizzy -- Romeo And The Lonely Girl
Chris Rea -- Working On It
UFO -- Lights Out
Graham Parker -- White Honey
Chilliwack -- Baby Blue
Point Blank -- Nicole
Emerson, Lake & Palmer -- Fanfare For The Common Man
Chris De Burgh -- Don't Pay The Ferryman
Crawler -- Sail On
The Stabilizers -- One Simple Thing
Blues Image -- Ride Captain Ride
Stingray -- The Man In My Shoes
The Outlaws -- There Goes Another Love Song
Sweet -- Love Is Like Oxygen
Robert Palmer -- You're Gonna Get What's Coming
Uriah Heep -- Look At Yourself
Sniff 'N' The Tears -- Driver's Seat
Alice Cooper -- Under My Wheels
Dr John -- Right Place Wrong Time
The Electric Light Orchestra -- Showdown
Hydra -- Feel Like Running
Steely Dan -- Doctor Wu
The Steve Miller Band -- Living In The U.S.A.
Arlo Guthrie -- Coming In To Los Angeles
Alvin Lee -- So Sad (No Love Of His Own)
Budgie -- Breadfan
Horslips -- Sure The Boy Was Green
Santana -- Open Invitation
Ted Nugent -- Hey Baby
Todd Rundgren -- Hello It's Me

And here's what's been rattling the chandeliers at Spriggs Towers this week:

Sharon Shannon & Friends – Libertango
Focus – Hamburger Concerto
George Harrison – Wonderwall Music
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra – The Brandenburg Concertos (J.S. Bach)
Joni Mitchell – Hejira
Matchbox Twenty – North
Bowling For Soup – A Hangover You Don't Deserve
The Bothy Band – Old Hag You Have Killed Me
Caro Emerald – Metropol Orkest X Caro Emerald
Dixie Chicks – Wide Open Spaces
Bela Fleck And The Flecktones – Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The Kinks – The Collection
Marillion – F.E.A.R.
Mike Oldfield – Five Miles Out
Imogen Heap – I Megaphone
Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Trilogy
The Doobie Brothers – Best Of The Doobies
Joe Bonamassa – Dust Bowl
Paula Cole – Ballads
Dick Gaughan – A Handful Of Earth
Jethro Tull –  A Passion Play
Steeleye Span – Commoner's Crown
Robin Trower – B.L.T.


No comments: